Truble Pics + milankundera

laughter & forgetting
so today, after trying to retrieve my information off my computer's hard drive for the past 2 weeks, i came to the realization that it was all lost. all my contacts & addresses, all my emails, all my calendars. files full of quotes, recipes and the diligent notation of the dates of where & with whom i had dinner with, what jobs i worked on, what boyfriends i was with....all gone with the wind. it made me think of memory and how we hold it and shape it. did it really happen if i can't look back and see those words written somewhere? i finally let it go (or so i keep telling myself). i've lost so many things along the way and this too shall pass. Please email me at sthenry7@earthlink.net so that i can start to rebuild...
i am reminded of two quotes from my absolute favorite authors:
"For after all, what can memory actually do, the poor thing? It is only capable of retaining a paltry little scrap of the past, and no one knows why just this scrap and not some other one, since in each of us the choice occurs mysteriously, outside our will or our interests. We won't understand a thing about human life if we persist in avoiding the most obvious fact: that a reality no longer is what it was when it was; it cannot be reconstructed." -Milan Kundera
and...."The Hopi, an Indian tribe, have a language as sophisticated as ours, but no tenses for past, present and future. The division does not exist. What does this say about time?Matter, the thing the most solid and the well-known, which you are holding in your hands and which makes up your body, is now known to be mostly empty space. Empty space and points of light. What does this say about the reality of the world?"-Jeanette Winterson