Truble Pics + style

An Interview with Naga Designer Imcha Imchen [men's fashion]

Based in Ahmedabad, India, Imcha Imchen is a designer from Nagaland who made his debut as a Gen Next designer at the Spring/Summer 2009 Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai on October 2008.

The silhouettes in 2009 autumn/winter collection entitled Mangko Akir drew inspiration from the drapes of the mekhela (or sarong), the loin cloth, and the sash, which were used by various Naga tribes.

After writing my first article on Imcha entitled From Nagaland: Menswear with Imcha Imchen, I sent the young an email with several interview questions. Despite his current travels and busy schedule, Imcha responded immediately:

Where were you born and raised, Imcha?

I was born in Mokokchung, Nagaland, but I was raised in a small town called Medziphema, also in Nagaland.

Tell me a bit about your studies...

I obtained a degree in Science with Chemistry, Zoology and Environmental Science. Then, I took a different turn and went to the National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad where I studied Apparel Design and Merchandising.

What are the major inspirations of your creations?

Tribal folklore and textiles.

How would you describe the men's fashion scene in India?

The fashion Scene in India is booming. The first mens fashion week was held just a while back, and it just proves how serious a market it has become, even though men seem to be more conservative or less fashion conscious than their female counterparts.

Thank you, Imcha, for taking time out of your busy schedule to respond! I wish you the greatest success!

Photo Copyright Imcha Imchen.