Truble Pics + style

Interview with Sean Ashby of aussieBum

Recently, I have enjoyed the wonderful privilege of interviewing Sean Ashby, founder and CEO of aussieBum—Australia’s top manufacturer of swimwear, underwear, and bodywear.

Tell me, Sean, how did it all

begin?


I was born in the country of Victoria in Ferntree Gully. I led a very simple life. My father was a tradesman, a plumber, and my mother worked at the local supermarket. I lived in an area where not many people had any great aspirations, simply because it was a working area where the families that lived there worked in factories, trades or did not have sufficient income to live closer to the city where most careers were forged. My family’s hopes for me were to take on a trade and follow in my fathers footsteps, as I was not a bright student and often failed at any task. So they felt a trade would be the best hope for myself. For me, however, this is what I feared becoming the most.

Where do you live now?

Today I live in Sydney’s inner west—what was also once known as a working suburb.

Why Sydney?

I live here because this is where the brand started and because I wanted to live near where I work. It is close to the city, beach and lifestyle I had always aspired to, however, not too close that I become too lazy because of the success my company has awarded me.

How was aussieBum conceived?


I started aussieBum because I could not get a job. By this I mean I could not get a job doing what I was most passionate about. Creating ideas and turning them into reality. I was running out of money fast being unemployed and having spent most of my time at the beach because it was cheap. I saw an opportunity to create a very iconic style of Australian swimwear that was once popular and today had disappeared. I took my life savings and decided to start a brand based on the type of person I was. I am Australian and was a bum (having spent most of my time at the beach). Hence the name aussieBum was born.

Did you design the first line?

When I started, I designed everything myself.

And now?

Today I still manage the principal designs; however, more and more ideas are coming from the people that work in the company. So it is more a joint collaboration.

Do you outsource your manufacturing?

Everything that is produced at aussieBum is made in Australia and with the people that work in the company.

You have very intriguing lines. What are their inspirations?

Today I travel the world, so I am inspired by many factors. Still the most important to me is the idea behind its creation. For example, we developed the “Wonderjock” because so many customers asked if we could make something for them to appear larger or manlier. I have just returned from a world trip and am bursting with new ideas that have inspired me.

Any other sources of inspiration?

There are many other elements also—for example, the weather and time of the year reflect what I am interested in. Colors especially play an important role in what I create next. Music is also a great influence as I spend most of my time listening to music when I am actually creating.

How would you describe the aussieBum look?

Our designs are classic and iconic with innovation and identifying trends before they arrive. We design apparel that makes a man look masculine and sexy. Because we are so remote to the rest of the world, it allows us to create without the pressure of competition next door. Quite often I am clueless to what other brands are doing. It is not until I visit a retail store and see what they are doing that I see the competition.

Who is the aussieBum kind of guy?

The aussieBum kind of guy is one who does not like to be labeled. He found our brand by discovery or by recommendation by another person. He does not like to be seen as a person who wears a brand because it is popular. He chooses to wear a brand that has values and stands behind the products they produce. He also is a person with loyalty and does not take himself too seriously. He enjoys the currency a brand like aussieBum brings, meaning he can talk about the brand to other people in a novel and fun way. He is confident and likes to be relevant and social to others. He prides himself on his appearance and likes to wear brands others cannot find.

How do you explain your quick rise to fame?

That’s a tough question, because it is not until I am asked this question that I realize the success of our company and the impact it has had around the world. I believe my success is a direct result of having a passion and belief in myself and others around me. I believe in Karma, so when things start to go wrong, I know that I need to be more positive and be positive around others. Success, I believe, is a direct result of being positive.

Thank you, Sean, and much more success to you all at aussieBum.

Photos Copyright aussieBum.